Manchester Museum

1920_manchestermuseum
images-1
images
natureslibrary

Manchester Museum is an Edwardian Gothic building housing a collection of geological, archeological, modern historical and natural historical artifacts from the beginnings of time to the present day.

The original collection belonged to John Leigh Philips (1761-1814). After his death, his eclectic collection was acquired by the Manchester Natural History Society, and was originally on Peter Street. Alfred Waterhouse, a renowned architect, designed the museum building, and it was opened to the public in 1890. The new museum housed the collections of the Manchester Geological Society as well as the Natural History Society and was added to by Jesse Haworth, a local textile merchant and Egyptologist.

The buildings also house Stan, a Tyrannosaurus Rex, and a collection of prehistoric skeletons, as well as a vivarium and an extensive range of taxidermic specimens of mammals and birds.

The museum is free, and there are extended opening hours into the evening on Thursdays, which is the day of the BLRS dinner in the adjoining Whitworth Hall.